STARS Leadership Corps Benefits and Expectations
The STARS Leadership Corps is the flagship program of the STARS Computing Corps that engages college students, faculty/staff in broadening participation in computing. It is a regional cohort based model that the national STARS Computing Corps supports through online resources, webinars, and annual STARS Celebration and RESPECT conferences. Two ways of making STARS a part of your organization include: (1) STARS Leadership Corps as a student organization/ chapter, (2) SLC as a service-learning course. Read more below!
- Computing departments with STARS Leadership Corps Chapters show improvements in the undergraduate and graduate computing enrollment and graduation.
- STARS chapters enhance commitment and academic success in computing for diverse student groups, with significantly better outcomes for those from groups that have been historically underserved in CS, including women/non-binary, Black/African American, and Latiné/Hispanic.
- STARS Chapters gain access to resources, programs, professional development and community building opportunities through webinars, 1-1 meetings, and the annual STARS Celebration conference
- STARS Chapters help enable partnership building to support K-12 outreach, internships, and undergraduate research.
- STARS Chapter members are eligible to apply for support for faculty/staff and students to attend the STARS Celebration conference co-located with the Tapia Celebration of Diversity in Computing.
- STARS Chapters have access to monthly webinars on how to do activities for broadening participation in computing, including K-12 outreach, on-campus student organizations, and undergraduate research around broadening participation, computing and AI
- STARS chapters are eligible to apply for support for regional activities. Support is competitively awarded based on applicants’ past performance with STARS, their proposal, and the availability of funding.
STARS Organizational Member Expectations
To become eligible for support such as Celebration travel, active STARS member organizations are expected to participate in the STARS community, data collection, and reporting as below. Specific instructions will be provided after the application process.
- Join the STARS LinkedIn Community Group
- Participate in online STARS Webinars
- Complete STARS activity reports
- Ensure members complete Pre- and Post- surveys
- Prepare bi-annual STARS Narrative Report (Fall and Spring semesters)
- If applicable, complete stipend payment forms
- University/college members are asked to join the CERP Data Buddies program!